Saturday, March 25, 2006

Happy Swedish Anniversary

Leaving American soil has always been one of the great pleasures in my life. I feel the whole country is based on a shared hallucination of madmen. I am pretty sure I would feel the same about any country I grew up in. I hate the feeling of culture dragging me down to my slow spiritual death. That's why to stay fresh you have to move.

I have never understood religious people and people who keep the customs of their ancestors. These people deserver to be mocked. If doing drugs is illegal then so should be ethnic folk dancing. If you think about while high it will make sense.

Well it's been almost a year in Sweden for me and Linda. Moving to another country is never easy and never cheap. It is however extremely fun and exciting, and that's why I do it so often. I have lived in four countries for more than a year and hopefully I'm just warming up.

What America lacks in an educated voting population it more than makes up for in great pizza, entertainingly bad media, and creme donuts. In short, the USA is a great place to visit but you wouldn't want to live there. The same is true for England which I also lived in for a year. Basically living in a country where you speak the language is a real downer. It's harder to hate what you cannot fully comprehend.

Yes after one year in Sweden I have the (very) basics of the language down, a job I like, good friends, and I know where all the best pubs are. What remains is to find a better flat and find a tennis partner so I can get back into that sport I love. Oh yeah and some positive temperature outside would be a nice change. Right now it's sunny and freezing. I like it warm and partly cloudy.

No comments: