Monday, June 20, 2005

Job Interviews

Well I had another job interview on Friday and I think I did well until the end when I started to lie and said that I wanted a family and kids. In American that's a good lie because it means stability and hard work. In Sweden its a bad lie because it means paid paternity leave is imminent. Shit. Then again, I don't think the Swedes care anyway.

Apparently the criteria for getting a job in Sweden are:

1. Having a Swedish sounding last name.
2. Looking like you fit in with the other people.
3. Having lots of interests outside work.

In Sweden once you get a job it's pretty much yours for life and it's near impossible to get fired without a bribe of a year or two salary. Most people don't work very hard, take their job seriously, and spend at least an hour per day planning their next vacation. You see, with 25 days or more plus 12 national holidays and weekends, that's a lot of planning.

That's not to say people don't work hard in Sweden, but slacking seems to be the general trend. Even as a slothy American I don't think I can take that. I am used to misery, long hours, and working weekends. I think I better start my own company.

No comments: