Saturday, April 02, 2005

Stockholm! Wow.

Vi ar in Stockholm nu! (We are in Stockholm now)

Actually we are staying in Dronningham with a friend of the family. They live in a large white wooden house just a few hundred meters from the King’s castle. The house has been to two world’s fairs. I know that sounds weird. Not many houses are world travelers. This one went to the Paris World’s Fair is 1962 and the 1966 World’s Fair in Rio. It was the exhibit for the Swedish wood industry.

We are not staying in the traveling home however, we are staying in a one year old guest house on the edge of the property. There is no Playstation but an X-Box(!), a nice kitchen and a plenty of storage room. It is typically Swedish. Everything looks like it came from IKEA. I better get used to that.

We traveled to the city today to have lunch with Linda’s mother and grandmother. Linda’s grandmother is 85 and she is one of the reasons Linda was so motivated to move back to Sweden. The Swedes are very family oriented people. Linda loves her grandmother and talks on the phone with her for hours every month. I don’t think I’ve ever talked to my grandmother on the phone for more than 15 seconds. What would I say? Linda wants to be around for her. I think she looks healthy. She could easily last another ten years. It makes me wonder what I will look like at 85. Holy shit. That makes me want to save for retirement. A bottle of booze will cost $300 by then.